Some of the books that I’ve been reading lately really push the fact that having a high level of education is something that will be very worthwhile for your career. And I couldn’t agree more; in our day and age any advantage that you can give yourself over the people who will be competing for your job is worth taking. With that said I have been mulling over the idea of going back to school to get my masters degree. I was originally debating getting an MBA but a master’s degree in management is just as worthwhile in my opinion.
As I’ve been thinking about this myself I went through the typical exercise of weighing the pros and cons to see if this was right for me or for anyone. First off I don’t think you can ever go wrong in continuing to expand your education but that doesn’t mean its right for you.
- Increases your specialization in the workforce making you a better candidate for the job
- It increases your qualifications for better and higher paying jobs
- The higher your level of education the higher your annual salary
- By Specializing you increase the number of opportunities that will cross your path
- People will give you and your ideas more respect
- You can become overspecialized limiting your potential job opportunities
- Going back to school is extremely expensive – can be offset if working at the same time
- It can take years to get an advanced degree especially if done part time
- Disruptive to your life – going back to school is a life changing endeavor
Some of the biggest items in the Cons list are ones that don’t argue the pros but simply make you question if this is the right time or the thing for you. If you are a single parent holding down two jobs to make ends meet it might be hard to take even one class a week towards your degree. The costs and disruption to your life maybe too much to overcome, at least for the time being and this is why weighing the pros and cons is necessary when contemplating something such as going back to school.
Personally it’s not a matter of if I go back to school but when and I know what is involved since I’ve done it in the past. Thankfully in our day and age we’ve got a lot of options when it comes to continuing your education. A lot of schools now offer online course that can allow you to continue your education. I took this option when I first returned to finish my bachelor degree and it’ll be my choice for when I return. You just have to ensure that the courses you take are accredited so you don’t end up getting a degree from Bob’s University that no one acknowledges.
[tags]school, going back to school, pros and cons