When I came up with last week’s budget I was worried that I might not meet it. There were a lot of potential unknown expenses that could have thrown it completely out of whack and that is exactly what happened. I allocated an additional amount of money into the miscellaneous category and a lot more into food in hopes of balancing things out.
But when it came down to it I was completely off. First off I ended up not paying for food last week; my wife took care of that. To balance that aspect out I ended up paying for a lot more of the miscellaneous things that we needed at the new house and unfortunately there is a big difference going from a condo to a house when it comes to what you need on hand.
The miscellaneous category for me holds things that I simply don’t purchase on a regular basis and this past week there was a great deal of those. From renting steam cleaners to extension cords all these small purchases added up significantly.
Another aspect that I thought I had covered off sufficiently was gas but a business trip that I’m still waiting to be reimbursed for drove that number up. Overall I’m quite happy with the results because I came close to the total budget for the week. I was projecting spending about $550 in total and when the dust settled I spent $570.91 which is a difference of $20.91 (or about 3.8%).
Now that the move is taken care of regular budgeting should become easier again. I really need to get this budget tighter and more on the frugal side. I still need to find a means of making more money and to that end I think I’m going to need to start looking for more work or better paying work. This week’s budget will be a test to see if I really can get things back under control.
Thank you again to all of the readers who participated in my contest. I was really hoping that I could have stayed but the experiment was well worth it in my opinion. I’ll write about my experiences and thoughts on it tomorrow.